- String picking
- PDF Download
Guitar picks, also known as Peak, are derived from the pronunciation of the English word “Pick.”
Guitar Pick can not only play melody of various speeds, but also play chords and sweeps. It is a very important tool for electric guitars and acoustic guitars. I will introduce you to the use of guitar picks today.
The method of guitar pick selection
In principle, the shape and thickness of the pick are different, and the thickness varies from 0.38 to 3.0, and the functions are also different. If you are an acoustic guitar, you can use a 0.5 mm to 0.8 mm thick pick. For the decomposition, use a pick thickness of 0.7mm~1.0mm. Electric guitars basically use a pick thickness of 1.0 or more.
Everyone must think that the thicker the thickness, the more resistant it is. In fact, it is not the case that the wear resistance is heavy in the material. We often find that some friends use their hands to “snap” it during the process of picking the pick. In fact, the correct way to pick the picks should be: use your ears to listen and look with your eyes. It is not enough to “happiness” to hear the sound of the pad falling on the glass plate; to see the paddle falling on the plane is not enough to have “elasticity”, just like we choose table tennis. In fact, the more anti-wearing picks are, the more boring the sound is. The sound that is worn out after a while is the sound is very good.of course there are exceptions. For example, “Pangolin scales” means that the anti-wear sound is good (of course, this is not environmentally friendly).
Traditionally, the quality of the picks will wear out quickly if not good. Then you are very uncomfortable, so try to use the brand picks. It is recommended that the beginners choose the pick as thin as possible, and it is better to choose 0.5 or thinner, so that it is not too bad to practice when sweeping the strings. You can change 0.5 or 0.7 later. Because the thick paddles don’t sound high when playing the guitar, and the bass is too much, the sound is not clear when sweeping the strings. However, if the sheet is too thin, the opposite situation will occur. The treble is excessive, there is no bass, and the whole sound sounds sharp and thin. Therefore, when you practice for a period of time, it should be appropriate to choose the thickness of the compromise, about 0.7mm or so, the high-altitude bass will be more balanced and will not be extremely extreme. But why do you have a lot of guitar picks, of course, to cater to the style of the score? Therefore, the middle thickness of the guitar picks is generally selected. In special cases, the appropriate picks are selected according to their own needs.
How to use the guitar pick to pick a string?
The other three fingers that do not take the paddle are naturally bent, slightly attached to the top and the wrist force cannot be used when the pick is pulled up and down, but the thumb and the index finger are used in combination. When dialing down, the thumb is swiping down, and when dialing up, the index finger is up.
For beginners, how do you take the pick?
OK type holding method:
1. Extend your right index finger and let it bend slightly.
2. Place the guitar pick on the top of the index finger and press the first knuckle of the thumb against it. Note that the tip of the pad needs to be exposed about 3 mm. Remind that the index finger should not bend too tightly inside. The thumb should be as relaxed as possible, so that the two fingers can hold the paddles freely and the paddles do not slip off.
3. Make an OK hand with your right hand, relax all your fingers, and keep your gestures. (Now your thumb and index finger should be attached, this is what we usually do).
4. Move the thumb to the side of the index finger.
Be careful not to exceed the first section of the index finger (ie, on the side of the index finger nail position).
5. Take a piece of pick with your left hand and insert it between your thumb and forefinger. The tip of the pick is on the tip of the whole forefinger.
6. Deflect the tip of the pad to the thumb for about 20 degrees. At this point, your pick is about 70 degrees away from the thumb. Ok, you did it.
Hand fist type handheld method:
1. The right hand type is like holding an egg gently.Putting the pick on the top left of the index finger allows the paddle to remain in the most balanced position.
2. Use the thumb to mark the center of the most average of the pick.
3. The thumb and forefinger are not pinching their hands in the hand, but playing in the state of the picks, so that the happy “graininess” of the picks is still there, and the right hand is at the most relaxed state.
Many beginners will ridicule such people who hold the law are not standard. But their views are wrong. When a song reaches a certain speed, the fact tells us that the OK type is not stable enough. In the case of too high speed, the force of the pick is deflected, and finally the phenomenon of losing the pick or losing the position is caused. At this time, you need to practice the hand fist method. The best way to do this is to switch from OK to Grip when playing cymbals and high-speed SOLO.
How to use the guitar pick to sweep the strings?
The wrist is critical when sweeping the string and requires its flexible rotation. The motion track of the front end of the pick should be arc. To prepare for the sweeping of the strings, the wrists are slightly turned outwards, so that there is about 45° tilt between the guitar picks and the guitar. At this time the wrist can’t turn, but it needs to go straight down. At this time, the movement track of the front end of the paddle is straight. The plane of the paddle should be the same as the direction of the string, do not tilt. Whether you are playing a single tone or sweeping a string, the pick and the guitar board should be kept at a certain slope as much as possible so that your picks are caught by the strings and accidentally caught.